The Hon’ ble
S. Sukhbir Singh Ji Badal,
Deputy C.M. Punjab.
Sub:- Appeal to Remove Illegal Encroachments.
Our NGO (Lok Sewa Club Khanna, Regd.) is a social welfare organisation. We work for the welfare of society and to redress the grievances of general public without any personal interest, motive or gains and our NGO is a non political organisation. We spread awareness among common and poor people regarding facilities / policies provided by the state and central governments and try to implement such policies at ground level. People from various sects bring their grievances to our NGO. We scrutinise the matter in our executive committee and if found genuine, the matter is taken, discussed and worked out following proper legal procedure with the concerned department / authorities so that justice could be provided to the sufferers. RTI Act, electronic as well as print media are very helpful to us for exploring the things and solving the grievances.
It is respectfully submitted that:-
1) Owners of booths and SCOs in Guru Amar Dass Market, Khanna have totally flouted the allotment norms framed by the concerned department (Improvement Trust) while allotting these booths and SCOs.
• Corridors (BRANDA) constructed to facilitate the visitors and general public have been converted in to part of shops by the shopkeepers and some of them have developed basements under their shops which were a total violation of allotment norms. Many shopkeepers have covered corridors by installing iron grills and had raised permanent cement-brick walls to add up the BRANDA space to their shops.
• As per information procured by public information, Improvement Trust Khanna under RTI Act-2005, there are 181 Booths and 32 SCOs (Shop-Cum-Office) in this market allotted by the department.
• Corridors (BRANDA) are constructed for public facility and nobody is allowed to construct a basement under his shop as per allotment letter.
• Cycles, Rickshaws and other two wheelers were supposed to be parked in cycle parking as per demarcation plan provided by Improvement Trust Khanna but the cycle parking has been converted in to booths which is also adding up to public grievances and lack of parking facilities.
2) As per 2nd information obtained from executive officer, Nagar Council Khanna, under RTI Act-2005, it earned Rs. 94.60 Lakh from the parking lot contract in the last five years but nothing was spent to provide public facilities on the site.
• From the last five years the department did not re-carpet the parking road, renovate the toilets or install any water cooler for the visitors and general public. During rainy season the parking lot becomes worse with the potholed parking compound turned muddy. Visitors have to face a tough time to park and move their vehicles through a waterlogged parking at Guru Amar Dass Market as there is only single car parking for people visiting to main bazaar, subash bazaar, karnail singh road and said market.
3) G.T. Road Side Encroachments: – That more than 10 feet space has been covered by shopkeepers by putting saleable articles on public paths and public have to move along road sides as there is no way left for pedestrians, rickshaw pullers and two wheelers which results in public harassment and accidents. Due to vendors established on road sides people park their vehicles on the road side to purchase fruits and vegetables and hence a long traffic jam usually can be seen in the city.
• Ignoring safety of city residents and violating all the norms shopkeepers has encroached the public paths on both sides of GT road and they have no fear of law. Some of them have closed the path permanently and they have established their business on these public paths.
• It is further astonishing and shocking that a jeweller shopkeeper near main post office has developed a permanent regular car parking by paving cement tiles on the road side to perk their private vehicles which is totally violation of building by laws.
• It is also pertinent to mention here that Municipal Council authorities initiated demolition drive so many times but the department failed to evacuate these encroachments since long time.
• Traffic system is turning to worst day by day within the MC jurisdiction and precious lives are going to the mouth of death. Sir, if these illegal encroachments are removed: public harassment and road side accidents can be minimized in the city.
Dear Sir, We have already written to concerned administrative authorities (E.O. Nagar Council Khanna, E.O. Improvement Trust Khanna, A.D.C. Khanna & Deputy Commissioner Ludhian) to initiate stern action against these illegal encroachments but no vein so for.
Therefore it is respectfully prayed that a stern legal action should be initiated against these illegal encroachers in the larger public interest and concerned authorities should be ordered to improve the pitiable condition of parking lot at Guru Amar Dass Market Khanna.
President, Lok Sewa Club,
Shop No. 57, Sant Market,
G.T. Road Khanna,
KHANNA-141401 Contact- 98557 83747